"Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and to those who are not of the world. Wherefore I shall give commandment my seed, that they shall not occupy these plates with things which are not of worth unto the children of men. (1 Nephi 6:5-6)
- What is the Book of Mormon, and who wrote it? See: (Introduction to The Book of Mormon)
- Why was it written, for what purpose? (2 Nephi 25:26 & 33:3-4, Alma 37:7-10, Jacob 4:3-8)
- When was it written? See: (A Brief Explanation About The Book of Mormon)
- Where did we get it, & how was it translated? See: (Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith)
- What did the prophet Nephi who lived 575 B.C. say about Joseph Smith? (2 Nephi 3:4-16)
4 For behold, thou art the fruit of my loins; and I am a descendant of Joseph who was carried captive into Egypt. And great were the covenants of the Lord which he made unto Joseph.
5 Wherefore, Joseph truly saw our day. And he obtained a promise of the Lord, that out of the fruit of his loins the Lord God would raise up a righteous branch unto the house of Israel; not the Messiah, but a branch which was to be broken off, nevertheless, to be remembered in the covenants of the Lord that the Messiah should be made manifest unto them in the latter days, in the spirit of power, unto the bringing of them out of darkness unto light yea, out of hidden darkness and out of captivity unto freedom.
6 For Joseph truly testified, saying: A seer shall the Lord my God raise up, who shall be a choice seer unto the fruit of my loins.
7 Yea, Joseph truly said: Thus saith the Lord unto me: A choice seer will I raise up out of the fruit of thy loins; and he shall be esteemed highly among the fruit of thy loins. And unto him will I give commandment that he shall do a work for the fruit of thy loins, his brethren, which shall be of great worth unto them, even to the bringing of them to the knowledge of the covenants which I have made with thy fathers.
8 And I will give unto him a commandment that he shall do none other work, save the work which I shall command him. And I will make him great in mine eyes; for he shall do my work.
9 And he shall be great like unto Moses, whom I have said I would raise up unto you, to deliver my people, O house of Israel.
10 And Moses will I raise up, to deliver thy people out of the land of Egypt.
11 But a seer will I raise up out of the fruit of thy loins; and unto him will I give power to bring forth my word unto the seed of thy loins and not to the bringing forth my word only, saith the Lord, but to the convincing them of my word, which shall have already gone forth among them.
12 Wherefore, the fruit of thy loins shall write; and the fruit of the loins of Judah shall write; and that which shall be written by the fruit of thy loins, and also that which shall be written by the fruit of the loins of Judah, shall grow together, unto the confounding of false doctrines and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace among the fruit of thy loins, and bringing them to the knowledge of their fathers in the latter days, and also to the knowledge of my covenants, saith the Lord.
13 And out of weakness he shall be made strong, in that day when my work shall commence among all my people, unto the restoring thee, O house of Israel, saith the Lord.
14 And thus prophesied Joseph, saying: Behold, that seer will the Lord bless; and they that seek to destroy him shall be confounded; for this promise, which I have obtained of the Lord, of the fruit of my loins, shall be fulfilled. Behold, I am sure of the fulfilling of this promise;
15 And his name shall be called after me; and it shall be after the name of his father. And he shall be like unto me; for the thing, which the Lord shall bring forth by his hand, by the power of the Lord shall bring my people unto salvation.
16 Yea, thus prophesied Joseph: I am sure of this thing, even as I am sure of the promise of Moses; for the Lord hath said unto me, I will preserve thy seed forever.
- What did God command the ancient American prophet Mormon (385 A.D.) to do? (3 Nephi 26:12, Words of Mormon 1:1-11)
- What special message did Mormon's son Moroni, leave for us today? (Mormon 8:1-41)
- What does the Book of Mormon say about the Holy Bible? (1 Nephi 13:20-29, 2 Nephi 29:3-10 & 28:25-30, Mormon 7:8-9)
- Why doesn't the Bible contain all of God's word? (1 Nephi 13:24-29, 2 Nephi 29:7-14)
- Are there any scriptures in the Bible that verify the authenticity of The Book of Mormon??
Book of Mormon: (1 Nephi 1:) The Lord told the prophet Lehi (about 600 B.C.), that the great city of Jerusalem was to be destroyed.
Holy Bible: 2 Kings 24:2-4, 2 Chronicles 36:14-21 "The Lord sent.. against Judah to destroy it"
Book of Mormon: (1 Nephi 1:13, 22 Nephi 25:9-10) The Lord said that the residue, i.e. those whose lives were spared, would be carried away captive into Babylon.
Holy Bible: 2 Kings 20:17, Jeremiah 52:12-15 " the guard carried away captive.. the residue.. to Babylon"
Book of Mormon: (1 Nephi 1:18 & 7:14) Lehi and other prophets were sent by the Lord to warn the people of Jerusalem, including Jeremiah who was cast into prison.
Holy Bible:Jeremiah 7:25-26> "I have sent unto you.. the prophets" Jeremiah 37:21 "Thus Jeremiah remained in.. prison"
Book of Mormon: (1 Nephi 2:1-3) The Lord commanded Lehi to take his family, and flee from Jerusalem.
Holy Bible: Genesis 49:26, Deuteronomy 33:16 "him that was separated from his brethren"
2 Kings 19:30-31 "remnant that is escaped of the house of Judah" Isaiah 37:31-32 "out of Jerusalem shall go forth a remnant" Ezekiel 14:22 "remnant shall be brought forth, both sons and daughters" Book of Mormon: (1 Nephi 5:14-22,2 Nephi 3:4-5) The prophet Lehi and his family took with them a genealogy of their fathers, which showed they were descendents of "Joseph" who was "sold into Egypt" (Genesis 37:26-28) and whose descendents were promised great blessings. Holy Bible: Genesis 48:14-15 & 19 "Joseph.. his seed shall become a multitude of nations" Genesis 49:26 "The blessings.. shall be on the head of Joseph.." Deuteronomy 33:16 "Let the blessing come upon the head of Joseph, and upon the top of the head of him that was separated from his brethren" Book of Mormon: (1 Nephi 15:12 &19:24, Jacob 2:25) The records also showed, that they were a "bough" or "branch" of Israel, led out of Jerusalem by the hand of the Lord. Holy Bible: Genesis 49:22 "Joseph is a fruitful bough"Isaiah 4:2 "branch of the Lord.. them that are escaped of Israel"
Ezekiel 17:22-23 "I will also take of the highest branch.. and will plant it.. and it shall bring forth boughs, and bear fruit.. " Book of Mormon: (1 Nephi 17:8 & 18:8) The Lord caused Lehi's sons to construct a ship in which this branch of Joseph, sailed over the sea towards the promised land. Holy Bible: Genesis 49:22 "Joseph is a fruitful bough by a well (or sea), whose branches run over the wall." Book of Mormon: (1 Nephi 18:13) During their ocean voyage, there arose a great storm.
Holy Bible: Zechariah 10:6-12 "I will save the house of Joseph.. I will bring them.. out of the land of Egypt.. And he shall pass through the sea with affliction, and shall smite the waves.. And I will strengthen them." Book of Mormon: (1 Nephi 18:23-24) After their arrival in the promised land, they planted many seeds which did grow exceedingly, and they were blessed in abundance. Holy Bible: Isaiah 4:2 "the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and comely for them that are escaped of Israel." Deuteronomy 33:13-14 & 16 "And of Joseph he said, Blessed of the Lord be his land.. and for the precious fruits brought forth by the sun.. and of the earth.." see: Leviticus 20:24 Book of Mormon: We know that they were led to the western part of South, Central, and North America, i. e. The "Rocky Mountains." Holy Bible: Genesis 49:26 ".. blessings of my progenitors unto the.. everlasting hills.. shall be upon the head of Joseph.. him that was separate from his brethren."Deuteronomy 33:13 & 15 & 16 "Blessed.. be his land.. of the ancient mountains and.. of the lasting hills.. let the blessing come upon.. Joseph.. him that was separated from his brethren. " Book of Mormon: (2 Nephi 5:6-7 & 10-11 & 13) They then journeyed into the wilderness (having been led by the Lord, and planted by his hand), kept the commandments, prospered, and began to multiply (bear fruit) in the land. Holy Bible: Genesis 48:15 & 19 "And he blessed Joseph, and said.. his seed shall become a multitude of nations."
Genesis 49:22 "Joseph is a FRUITFUL bough.. "
2 Kings 19:30-31, Isaiah 37:31-32 "And the remnant that is escaped of the house of Judah shall yet again take root downward (planted by the Lord), and bear fruit (multiply) upward. "
Ezekiel 17:22-24 "I will also take of the highest branch.. and will plant it upon an high mountain .. and it shall bring forth boughs, and BEAR FRUIT.. I the Lord have done it."
Zechariah 10:6 & 9 & 12 "I will save the house of Joseph, and will bring them again to place (plant) them.. as though I had not cast them off. And they shall remember me (keep the commandments) in far countries, and they shall live with their children, and turn again.. and they shall walk up and down in his name,. saith the Lord." AND Ezekiel 14:22-23 "A remnant shall be brought forth" "They shall come forth unto US" "we shall see their way and their doings" "WE shall be comforted.. concerning Jerusalem" "we shall know that God has not done without cause all that he has done" How could the Lord fulfill these promises UNTO US, if God had not caused the descendents of Joseph who were "seperated" from Judah, to keep and preserve a record ..
- What is meant by the "sticks (or books) of Judah and Joseph" in Ezekiel 37:15-20? (1 Nephi 5:14-21 & 13:39-41 & 15:14-18, 2 Nephi 3:12)
- Is the witness of two "nations" or "mouths" (2 Nephi 29:8) a coincidence, or is this in fulfillment of the way the Lord has always established His word? (Genesis 25:23, Matthew 8:20, Mark 6:7, Luke 10:1,John 8:16-17, 2 Corinthians 13:1, Revelations 11:3)
- What was the Old Testament prophet Isaiah speaking about, in Isaiah 29:4 & 11-14? (2 Nephi 26:14-17 & 27:6-26 & 33:13, Mormon 8:23-26, Moroni 10:27)
- Who were the "other sheep" referred to by Jesus in John 10:16? (3 Nephi 15:11-21)
- Did Jesus ever show himself/appear to anybody else? (3Nephi 16:1-4)
- How did a prophet who lived 600 B. C. describe our day? (2 Nephi chapter 28)
- Why is reading the Book of Mormon so important? (1 Nephi 15:24, 2 Nephi 32:3, Mosiah 1:3-7,
Holy Bible: Matthew 4:4)
- I believe in Jesus Christ & the Bible- but not the Book of Mormon. (2 Nephi 33:10-12, Alma 39:17-19, Mormon 7:8-9)
- How can I find out and know for myself, whether or not the Book of Mormon is true? (Moroni 10:3-5 & 7:15-18, Ether 4:11-17, Alma 5:45-46)
- What if I don't get an answer to my prayer? (1 Nephi 10:17-19 & 15:3-11, Alma 32:28, 3 Nephi 15:18, Ether 12:6, Moroni 7:6) Jesus Christ
- What does the Book of Mormon say about Christ who was crucified, was he truly the Messiah, or are we waiting for another? (2 Nephi 25:13-29 & 26:12)
- What is the Gospel of Jesus Christ, how did the Savior explain it? (3 Nephi 27:13-22)
- Exactly who is invited to "come unto Christ"? (2 Nephi 26:24-28 & 33, Alma 5:33 & 62)
- By whose name are we saved? (Mosiah 3:17, 2 Nephi 31:21)
- Why can't I adore/worship the Virgin Mary? 2 Nephi 25:20, Mosiah 3:17)
- Why was the "Atonement" (Christ's suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross for our sins) necessary? (2 Nephi 2:5-9 & 9:5-12, Alma 34:8-16, Helaman 14:15-19)
- Why is faith in Christ so important? (2 Nephi 27:23, Enos 1:5-8, Moroni 7:26-48)
- What is faith, and how does it grow? (Alma 32:16-43, Ether 12:6-18)
- How can reading the Book of Mormon strengthen my faith in Christ? 2 Nephi 31:20& 32:3, Jacob 4:3-6, Alma 32:28-29 & 37:44-46, Helaman 3:28-30, Moroni 6:4 & 10:3-4)
- What physical evidence do we have of God's existence? (Alma 30:37-44, 2 Nephi 2:13-14)
- Has anyone actually seen God? (2 Nephi 11:2-3, Ether 12:38-39)
- Are God & Jesus the same person? (3 Nephi 11:6-11, Holy Bible: John 17:11 &21-23)
- Is Jehovah Christ? (2 Nephi 22:2, Moroni 10:33-34)
- What is the name of Christ's church? (3 Nephi 27:7-9, Mosiah 26:21-24)
- Does it really matter which church I belong to, or which path I follow? (1 Nephi 14:10, 2 Nephi 31:17-18, 3 Nephi 14:21 & 27:33)
- In a world with so many conflicting voices, how can I find the truth? (Moroni 7:14-19 & 10:4-5, 2 Nephi 32:3)
- Will the savior Jesus Christ ever return again? (3 Nephi 24:1, Alma 5:28-29 & 50)
- What are some of the events that will precede His Second Coming? (2 Nephi 12:10-21 & 23:6-11, 3 Nephi 25:1-6)
- What is the Plan of Salvation? (Alma 34:8-17)
- Why is the "original sin" of Adam & Eve not upon me? (Moroni 8:8, Mosiah 3:8-11 & 16)
- Are we saved by grace, by works, or by both? (2 Nephi 25:23, 5/14-21, Alma 5:14-21 & 35-43)
- Isn't it enough for me just to believe? (Mosiah 2:36-41 & 4:8-10, 5/14-21,Alma 5:14-21 & 35-43)
- Why do we have to repent? (2 Nephi 2:21, >Alma 7:14-15 & 9/12#12">9:12 & 34:30-38, Moroni 8:25)
- Why is baptism necessary? (Alma 7:14-15,3 Nephi 11:32-41, Holy Bible: John 3:3-5)
- Why do I need the Holy Ghost? (2 Nephi 32:5, 3 Nephi 27:20)
- I've already been baptized before, why do I need another? (3 Nephi 11:21-28 & 12:1-2, Mosiah 18:16-17, Holy Bible: Acts 19:2-6)
- Why did Jesus "who did no sin" ( Holy Bible:1 Peter 2:21-22) receive baptism, when baptism is for sinners? (2 Nephi 31:5-12, Mormon 7:8 & 10)
- Do little children need baptism? (Moroni 8:8-24, Mosiah 3:16-18)
- Shouldn't I learn everything there is to know, before I am baptized? (Alma 32:16-19 & 26-43, 3 Nephi 12:1-2)
- What does God want me to do, so that I may receive "Eternal Life"? (Alma 22:15-16, 2 Nephi 31:15-18, Jacob 6:11-13, 3 Nephi 15:9-10, Moroni 7:46-48)
- How can I have faith to do what is asked of me? (1 Nephi 3:7 & 17:3, Alma 26:12, Ether 12:6-18)
- Why can't I just put it off until someday later? (Mosiah 16:1-5, Alma 34:30-35)
- I'm too old and set in my ways, it's too late for me. (Mosiah 2:40, Alma 5:49)
- I don't need to change, I'm fine just the way I am. (Mosiah 3:19, Alma 26:21-22 & 41:11)
- Are we predestined, or can I choose my own fate? (2 Nephi 2:27-28, Helaman 14:30-31)
- God wouldn't want me in His kingdom, I could never be forgiven. (Alma 5:33-35, 26/22-23, Mosiah 26:22-23 & 29, 3 Nephi 13:14)
- What do we "witness unto the Father" by being baptized? (2 Nephi 31:10-13, Mosiah 18:8-10, Alma 7:14-16)
- What should I do, after I am baptized? (2 Nephi 31:19-21, 1 Nephi 22:30-31, Mosiah 4:6-12)
- What is the purpose of life? (2 Nephi 2:25, >Alma 12:24 & 34:30-34)
- How can I obtain real and lasting happiness? (Mosiah 2:41, >Mormon 7:7-10)
- Why can't I live in sin, and still be happy? (Alma 41:10-11, Mormon 2:13, Helaman 5:9-11 & 13:38, Mormon 9:3-5)
- How can I judge if something is of God, or of the Devil? (Moroni 7:12-19, Ether 4:11-12)
- What will Satan reward those who follow him? (2 Nephi 28:20-23, Alma 5:40-42 & 30:60 & 34:39)
- What can I do to serve God, and follow him? (2 Nephi 31:10-12, Mosiah 2:16-17)
- Whom are we serving when we contend or quarrel with each other? (Mosiah 4:14-15, 3 Nephi 11:29-30,Ether 4:8)
- To what extent are we held accountable for our choices? (Alma 12:12-15, Mosiah 4:30, 2 Nephi 9:13-14 & 25-27)
- Why do some think the truth is "hard to bear"? (1 Nephi 16:1-3, 2 Nephi 9:40 & 33:4-5)
- How can God be both just and merciful at the same time? (Alma 34:14-17 & 42:13-30)
- What has God ever done for me? (2 Nephi 9:19-22, Mosiah 2:21-25 & 3:7 & 16:3-9)
- What can I do to repay Him? (Mosiah 2:20-25)
- Why does God give us weaknesses, and how can I turn them into strengths? (Ether 12:27, Jacob 4:7, Moroni 7:33)
- Why must there be an "opposition in all things"? (2 Nephi 2:11-16 & 22-24)
- Life isn't always fair, will God ever right all the wrongs? (Mormon 8:40-41, Alma 7:12-13 & 39:8 &41:14-15, 3 Nephi 12:3-12, Mosiah 29:12, Ether 12:4)
- Why does God sometimes allow bad things to happen to good people? (Alma 14:8-13 & 60:13, Helaman 12:2-3 & 15:3)
- If there is a God, why are there so many wars? (2 Nephi 5:25, Mosiah 12:2, Helaman 6:17-30, Ether 8:23-26)
- What happens to us when we die? (Alma 40:11-14)
- What will happen in the resurrection? (Alma 11:43-44 & 41:1-8)
- How was the gift of the resurrection made possible? (2 Nephi 2:8, Mosiah 16:6-9, Helaman 14:15-18, Mormon 9:13)
- Why does God give us commandments? (Alma 12:31-34, 2 Nephi 26:24, 3 Nephi 27:19-20)
- What promises are made to those who keep the commandments? (2 Nephi 2:27-28, Mosiah 2:41, Alma 7:15-16, Moroni 4:3 & 5:2, 3 Nephi 15:9-10)
- Why do we need to pray always? 2 Nephi 32:8-9, Alma 37:36-37, >3 Nephi 18:15-25)
- What should we pray about? (Alma 34:17-27 & 39, Moroni 7:46-48)
- Why do I need to read the scriptures every day? (1 Nephi 15:24, 2 Nephi 25:8 & 31:20 & 32:3, Alma 17:2 &37:43-46, Helaman 3:28-30, Moroni 6:4)
- Why would I need to stop "living TOGETHER" and get married? (1 Nephi 7:1, Jacob 2:27-28, Mosiah 13:22, Alma 39:3-9)
- Why is it important to keep the law of chastity? (3 Nephi 12:27-30, Jacob 2:7 & 27-35)
- Why do I need to pay tithing? (3 Nephi 24:8-12, Holy Bible: Genesis 28:22)
- Is it a sin to seek worldly riches? (Jacob 2:12-19,2 Nephi 9:28-30)
- Why do I need to keep the Word of Wisdom? (Alma 7:19-22, Holy Bible: 1 Corinthians 3:16-17)
- Why should I have to go to church regularly? (Mosiah 13:16-19, Moroni 6:3-6, 3 Nephi 18:10-12)
- How can I be free, with all these commandments I'm keeping? (2 Nephi 2:24-29 & 10:23-25, Mosiah 5:8, Helaman 14:30-31)
- How can I change religions & go against my parent's wishes? (Mosiah 1:5-7, Alma 9:16-17, Helaman 15:7-8)
- What are some of the pitfalls, lies, and temptations Satan will use to try to lead us astray?
(1 Nephi 2:12) Murmuring. (Alma 16:18) All kinds of immorality. (1 Nephi 8:25-28) Shame because of the world. (Alma 30:12-18) Ye cannot know. (1 Nephi 22:23, 2 Nephi 2:29) Lust of the flesh. (Alma 30:22-28) Ye are not free - in bondage. (2 Nephi 2:18, Mosiah 16:5) Satan:Liar/Enemy. (Alma 30:42) Lying spirits. (2 Nephi 9:28-29 & 42-43) Foolish wisdom. (Alma 30:53) There is no God. (2 Nephi 9:30-38) Wo unto the.. (Alma 34:28) Not helping others. (2 Nephi 9:39) to be carnally-minded. (Alma 34:33-35) procrastinate the day of your repentance. (2 Nephi 9:40) Revile against the truth. (Alma 37:40-46) Slow to heed Christ's word. (2 Nephi 25:18) False Messiah. (Alma 39:14) Seek vain things of the world. (2 Nephi 26:29-31) Priestcraft. (Alma 46:7-10) Flattering words . (2 Nephi 27:27, Alma 39:8) Hide from God. Helaman 4:11-13) A variety of sins revealed. (2 Nephi 28:7-9) A little sin. (<>Helaman 7:21) Bearing false witness. (2 Nephi 28:15) False doctrines. (Helaman 12:2) Forget the Lord. (2 Nephi 28:19-20 & 28) Anger. (Helaman 13:26-29) False prophets. (2 Nephi 28:21-22) There is no hell, or devil. (Helaman 13:37) Satan's angels. (2 Nephi 32:7) Will not search the scriptures. (3 Nephi 1:18, 6/7#7">Mormon 6:7) Fear. (2 Nephi 32:8) Do not pray. (3 Nephi 2:1-3) Blind your eyes. (Jacob 4:8-10) Seek to counsel God. (3 Nephi 12:27-30, Alma 39:9) Adultery/Lust. (Jacob 6:8-9) Reject and deny the truth. (3 Nephi 13:14-15) Not forgiving others. (Jacob 7:1-7, Alma 30:6) Anti-Christs. (3 Nephi 14:24-27) Hearing- but not doing. (Mosiah 2:32-33) Contention. (3 Nephi 19:35) Unbelief. (Mosiah 15:26) Rebellion. (1 Nephi 1:27, 2 Nephi 28:3-6) False churches. (Mosiah 26:1-6) Unbelief of rising generation. (4 Nephi 1:38-39, Jacob 3:10) Bad examples. (Alma 4:6-10 & 5:28-32) Pride of the church. (Mormon 1:14) Wickedness. (Alma 5:53-54, Jacob 2:13-14)Better than others. (Mormon 1:19) Sorcery, witchcraft etc. (Alma 12:9-11) Hardened hearts. (Mormon 8:38) Praise of the world. (Alma 13:20, Mormon 8:33) Wrest the scriptures. (Mosiah 13:15-24, 4:29-30) Watch yourself!
- Why do we need prophets? (1 Nephi 22:2, Moroni 7:31-32, Mormon 9:7-9, Holy Bible: Amos 3:7)
- How did the people in America know when Christ was born? (3 Nephi 1:15-20)
- What happened in America when Christ was crucified? (3 Nephi 8:1-22)
- What did the resurrected savior Jesus Christ say & do, while He visited the people of ancient America? (3 Nephi chapters 11-28)
- What must we do, for our nation to remain free? (1 Nephi 22:28, 2 Nephi 1:5-7, Alma 26:37 & 45:16, Helaman 7:22-23,3 Nephi 22:17, Ether 2:12, Mosiah 2:31 & 29:25-32)
- I'm just one person, what small difference could I possibly make? (Alma 37:6-7 & 32:22-23 & 10:22-23, Helaman 13:12-14)
- Exactly what things would cause us to lose our lands, and our freedom? (Helaman 4:12-13 & 24-25 & 6:17-30, Ether 8:20-26)
- When is it our "duty" to go to war? (Alma 43:45-47 & 46:11-13 & 18-21 & 28, Alma 48:10-17)
- What one thing has a greater tendency to lead people to do that which is right, and establish peace, more than anything else? (Alma 31:5, Enos 1:23, Jarom 1:10-12, Words of Mormon 1:17-18)
Get a Free Book of Mormon!
or call 1-888-537-7111Read The Book of Mormon on-line.
Bible Prophecies of the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ
Questions Answered by the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ
God's Plan of Salvation, explained with an illustration and supporting Scriptures
Which is the True Church of Jesus Christ?
LDS Apologetic Sites links
Jesus Christ, the Son of God
Come Unto Christ
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The Scriptures, Internet Edition
Articles of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints